Black-eyed-peas are the key ingredient in this classic Southern twist on salsa!
- 8 oz. bag of frozen, pre-soaked black eyed peas
- 1 red onion small diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, small diced
- 1 green pepper small diced
- 1 red pepper small diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if your prefer)
1 bu cilantro minced
- 1 can corn (optional)
- ½ Red wine vinegar
- ⅓ C olive oil
- 3 Tb. sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place black eyed peas into a small sauce pot, cover with water, add 1 tsp kosher salt, cover and bring to a boil. Once peas have come to a boil, turn down to a low simmer and cook until tender. Approximately 30 minutes. This step can be done a day ahead if you like.
- Once cooked, strain peas and put on a sheet tray to come to room temperature.
- In a small bowl or in your blender, mix red wine vinegar, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until incorporated. It may separate some, but that is ok.
- In a large mixing bowl, Add all your cut vegetables with the black eyed peas. Toss with dressing and minced cilantro. Refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate the beans and veggies with vinaigrette. Stir before serving.