Cooking local during the winter in North Carolina means kale, kale and more kale. Chef Beth has a great use for this hearty green in a flavorful but simple pasta night take on sausage linguine.
- 1 lb Melina’s Linguini pasta
- 4 links Hot Italian sausage
- 1 bunch Kale
- 2 cloves of garlic, micro planed
- 1 quart of Carolina Flavors Marinara Sauce
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for your pasta.
2. Wash Kale very well in cold water, de-stem and rough chop. Set aside
3. Heat a large saute pan to medium high heat. Add 1 T of vegetable or olive oil. Add the sausage and break up with spatula. Cook the sausage until nicely browned. If there is too much fat rendered from the sausage for your liking, strain it off at this point.
4. Add garlic to sausage and cook 30 seconds. Turn heat to medium low and add marinara sauce. Add your chopped kale into the sauce and stir to combine, it will wilt down a lot. Bring sauce to a simmer and let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
5. Once you begin simmering the sauce, its time to cook the pasta. Cook per packet instructions. Then strain, reserving a small amount of cooking liquid. Add cooked pasta directly into the sauce and stir to combine. If sauce is too thick, add a bit of the reserved cooking liquid to adjust consistency.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with some shaved parmesan cheese and enjoy.