Humans are not the only ones who enjoy eating fruits and vegetables. Animals love them too! At CLAWS, Grip the African raven, Skittles the grey fox, Knoddy the Nutria and dozens of rehabilitating raccoons, foxes and birds have been enjoying blueberries, apples, sweet potatoes and many of the other wonderful produce items.
For about a year The Produce Box has been donating fruits and vegetables to CLAWS, Inc., a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to helping wild and exotic animals by educating the public as well as rescuing and rehabilitating those animals in need. The organization’s educational programs and wildlife rehabilitation are conducted on a local level and exotic animal rescue efforts are nationwide.
CLAWS uses The Produce Box donations to feed all the animals. The animals and corvids (crows and raven) get varied fruits and vegetables every day. The Produce Box’s donations have been a tremendous help, especially since Covid-19.
The goals of CLAWS is to:
- Teach people to safely live in harmony with native wildlife
- Rehabilitate injured, sick and orphaned native wildlife for release back into their native habitat
- Educate people on the concerns about obtaining, and living with, exotic animals
- Serve as a source for the proper care of exotic pets
- Work and collaborate, on both a local and national level, to rescue and locate safe and permanent homes for displaced, neglected, abused and unwanted exotic animals
Sixteen years ago, CLAWS was founded by Kindra Mammone, who has been rehabilitating animals since she was very young. If you are interested in making a donation – the Paypal button on the website or check out CLAW’s Facebook page.