Not just for keto diets, this resolution friendly recipe is healthy and sure to please everyone at the table.!
- 1lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 package cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large crown broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 pint of Carolina Flavors Creamy pesto sauce
1. Heat a large deep sauté pan over medium high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add a few T of your preferred cooking oil to pan, just enough to coat the bottom. Once pan is hot, add seasoned chicken thighs to pan. Cook on medium high heat until nicely browned on first side, then flip over and brown the other side as well. If it is browning too quickly, turn down temperature to medium/medium low. Once chicken is nicely browned on both sides, and partially cooked, remove to a plate and set aside.
2. In the same sauté pan add a bit more oil if needed and return heat to high. You want a very hot pan to sear your mushrooms. Place the cut mushrooms in an even layer into hot pan. Once mushrooms are in pan, leave them alone, you want them to cook, without stirring until they are nicely browned on the one side. Then you give the pan a shake and let them continue to cook once they are nicely browned add the cut onions and a pinch of salt, use the liquid released from the onions and lightly scrape the pan to remove any good chicken or mushroom bits.
3. Cook onions with mushrooms until onions are just beginning to turn translucent. Add the broccoli florets to the pan. If you have it on hand deglaze with a ½ C of white wine. If not water is fine. Stir broccoli in to combine with mushrooms. After the deglazing liquid has cooked off, add the pesto cream to the pan. Add the chicken back into the sauce with the vegetables.
4. Bring to a light simmer and turn to low heat, cover. Simmer very gently until chicken is just cooked through. Approximately 10-15 minutes. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and serve immediately! If you boil the sauce too hard it can separate, so it’s important to be patient and let it cook slowly.
Chef Pro Tip: If you prefer your veggies a bit more al dente add the broccoli in once the chicken is cooked through and cook till it reaches desired texture.