Chef Beth is back with a unique twist on traditional holiday cranberry recipes. Whip up this sweet-savory chutney for a ruby red stunner to anchor any holiday party hors d’oeuvres spread!
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup finely minced onion
- ½ cup chopped Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- Sachet with 2 -3 cloves, 1star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 allspice berries
To prepare Chutney heat a deep wide sauté pan or soup pot. Add 1 Tb of butter and heat on medium. Add minced onion, celery, saute stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Add cranberries, dried fruit, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, zest and juice from lemon and orange, and water.
Add sachet of spices in stir ingredients to combine and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, add apples in. Simmer another 10 minutes or so or until all the cranberries have burst open and the chutney has thickened some.
Pour in a heat proof container and store overnight to allow flavors to meld.
Enjoy with grilled or roasted pork or chicken. Also great to pair with cheese for an impressive party snack.