- 2 Tb. Vegetable oil
- 1lb Stew Beef
- 1 qt Carolina Flavors Beef Stock, defrosted under refrigeration
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 1 lb potatoes, medium diced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into rounds, or medium dice
- 2TB tomato paste
- minced fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary)
- additional vegetables (peas, mushrooms, winter greens)
Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
Add 2 Tb of vegetable oil to the pan. Season stew beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, add an even layer of the meat to the hot pan. We are looking to get a nice sear on the meat to help create flavor.
Sear the meat on all sides. Add onions, and carrots to the stew beef and stir. Scraping the bottom of the pan to get any meat bits that may have stuck. If using tomato paste add now and brown the veggies and tomato paste for 2-3 minutes.
Next add in potatoes, (herbs if using) and beef stock. Liquid should just barely cover the veggies and meat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bring stew up to a simmer, cover, and turn to low heat. Cook for 1 ½-2 hours or until the meat is nice and tender and vegetables are cooked through. If liquid reduces too quickly you can add a bit of water, or more stock. Adjust seasoning and enjoy a hearty beef stew.